To start, I found out that in the fifties, a guy called Robert Kingsley did a research project that resulted in finding out that 11% of people are interested in some form of BDSM (what a surprise!!!). This is an amazing statistic, because at the time BDSM was considered a psychological perversion and people who entertained themselves in such a fashion required psychological intervention. I wonder if they treated these patients by placing them in isolation (a form of corner-time?) and placed them in straightjackets (no that’s not bondage AT ALL!!!)
This may seem like a suprising statistic of the times, but then I found 1950s advertising answer to wives who don’t get their husbands fresh coffee (after all spanking does put one of the D’s in BDSM – Discipline and Domination):
More recently, a non representative survey in the sexual behaviour of American students (our future is in their hands and all) was conducted and in 1997 the following results were released:
· 11% of heterosexual male and 9% of female heterosexual students admitted to BDSM related fantasies
· 12% of all students questioned showed an interest in spanking (surely that would have nothing to do with fraternity paddles and the consequences dished out in frat houses?)
Neither should we blame what goes on at college parties:
· 30% of men and 24% of the women had tried out or experienced a form of BDSM
So basically, our colleges, universities and higher education institution are growing up a bunch of kinky adults!
In 1999 a representative study was conducted in Germany (amongst adults not students)...with some interesting results:
· 66% of the interviewed women stated a desire to be at the mercy of their sexual partners from time to time
· 69% of the interviewed women admitted to fantasies dealing with sexual submissiveness
· 42% of the interviewed women stated interest in explicit BDSM techniques
· 25% of the interviewed women stated interest in bondage
Lastly, but definitely not least, in two separate research surveys (one in 2004 and one in 2005),
· 19% of people mentioned spanking as one of their practices (something I always suspected even if they are closet spanko’s!!!)
· 22% confirmed the use of blindfolds and/or handcuffs and other bondage utilities
· 5% explicitly connected themselves with sadomasochism.
So what’s the conclusion? Simple. It seems our world, is full of kinksters like us, who have taken part in some form of BDSM over the years, and of course...it proves that a double hot fudge brownie sundae with all the trimmings is so much more appealing to most than just plain vanilla.